Friday, November 13, 2009

Google used to treat e.g. asdf in the address bar as a search and go to asdf.com, now I go to Yahoo Search.?

How can I revert to Google's method? It does not have anything to do with the search engine plugins in the upper right corner. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled Google Toolbar, which gives me the option to set Google as my default search engine. Google's method is much simpler and faster.


INFO: Firefox v.1.5.0.6


Minimizetotray


Fasterfox


Flashgot


Confuscator


Advanced Dork


Forecastfox


Videodownloader


Internote


Google Toolbar


Noia 2.0 (eXtreme)

Google used to treat e.g. asdf in the address bar as a search and go to asdf.com, now I go to Yahoo Search.?
By default, if you enter a search term in the address field and press Enter, a Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" search is performed, and you're taken to the first result of that search directly. If you prefer to see the standard search result list instead, add the following code to your user.js file:





// Change to normal Google search:


user_pref("keyword.URL", "http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Googl...





Of course, you could also change to a completely different search engine by changing the string to something else. The default search string is: "http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m...





My thought is that the installation of the Yahoo tool bar effected the js file. If you're "feeling lucky" you can go into that file and change it back.


No comments:

Post a Comment